Friday, January 1, 2010

climb

He stands at the foot of the mountain and stares at the challenge that lies before him. He’s very confident and even a little cocky that he will conquer the mountain. Two days later and he’s made great progress, but it’s not as easy as he thought. A week later he reaches the halfway mark. Unfortunately he’s depleted more than half his strength and resolve.

A fellow climber spots something strange in his backpack… “Why do you have a fire extinguisher in your backpack?” He smiles “I used to be a fireman.” His answer is met with a raised eyebrow and a WTF expression. “Okay… and what is the calculator for?” “When I was writing my finals, I forgot my calculator at home. I did very badly and that maths mark has haunted me since.” Now the stranger has two raised eyebrows… “Okay… and how about that big gift wrapped box?” Sadness fills his eyes “My last girlfriend dumped me because I forgot her birthday.”

____________________

I know what you’re thinking… No one will carry so much from their past with them when they are trying to climb a mountain... no one is that stupid! Or are we? The beginning of a year is a good time to look forward and plan ahead, perhaps even decide what mountain(s) to climb. For me it’s also a good time to look back and let go.

Sometimes we carry terrible baggage around with us. So now I look back at the mistakes I made and say: “Yip, I did that… it was stupid. But it’s not who I am anymore. I won’t allow it to define me, and I won’t allow the memory of who I was spoil the possibilities of who I want to be.”


It's much easier to go forward if you stop looking back.

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and Great Advice, Louis.
    I hope you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2010, may
    this be your BEST year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I hope that the new year brings with it all that you wish for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Louis! Your writing just keeps getting better ... and I agree with you completely. Here's to an amazing 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave 2009 in the past, don't let it weigh you down in 2010.
    Wonderful post and a very Happy and lightweight 2010 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Louis! Happy New Year!

    “What you are is what you have been. What you’ll be is what you do now."
    -Buddha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! Freedom comes from letting go. Happy new year. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh gosh, i think most of us carry much more that just 3 items of excess baggage around with us on a daily basis. good thing to remember this new year, get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of that guy. A wise man carries the right baggage and discards the rest. Happy New Day, L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. excess baggage weighs us down until it smothers the person we are meant to be. a wonderful post to begin the New Year. you have a beautiful soul,

    warm smiles and hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more!! In addition to letting go, I've learned that it helps to forgive myself in the process.

    Here's to the present!! Happy 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very true!How many times we get bogged down by the sheer weight of our past failures!Learning to let go is the best way to start a fresh year.
    Hope this year be one of the best for you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow.. brilliant!! first of all happy new year ..
    the concept is brilliant and superbly expressed ..and thanku cos i needed it so much..

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true, but for some the mountain only gets higher...Gr8 posts as usual...

    ReplyDelete